The AP Ranch Champion Program is an year round elite level educational and athletic endeavor aimed to provide a challenging and competitive forum for socio-economically disadvantaged student-athletes. The AP Ranch Champion Program prepares student-athletes for the challenges of life beyond the playing field. The AP Ranch Champion Program is designed to give socio-economically disadvantaged youth an opportunity to attend college and flourish. Our student-athletes typically come from under-resourced families in under-served communities and will need financial assistance to attend college.
The mission of the AP Ranch Champion Program is to promote student-athletes’ ownership of their academic, athletic, career, family and community responsibilities. The AP Ranch Champion Program is designed to focus on the comprehensive development of the student-athlete
The philosophy of the program is to address the student-athlete as a whole person, not just as a student or athlete. During the middle school and high school years, every student-athlete is confronted with a variety of developmental challenges. The program is designed to address these challenges. The AP Ranch Champion Program provides a well-rounded, multi-perspective program for all student-athletes to develop the skills necessary to lead successful, productive lives, and become leaders of, and contributors to life.
The Five AP Ranch Champion Program Pillars
A Commitment to Academic Excellence– Provide services to support and enhance the academic success of the student-athlete.
A Commitment to Athletic Excellence-The fundamental principles of this program will be based on a commitment to sportsmanship, equity, fair play, and integrity.
A Commitment to Personal Development-Provide the student-athlete with opportunities to focus on personal growth issues such as clarifying values, setting goals, and learning fiscal responsibility.
A Commitment to Career Development-The program acquaints student-athletes with the college and career search process. The AP Ranch Champion Program works towards the development of the total person, the ultimate goal is to develop individuals who will have rewarding careers and productive lives.
A Commitment to Community Service-It is our desire for our student-athletes to give back to their community. Our student-athletes will be given opportunities to develop the foundation for a lifelong commitment to volunteerism.
Our Program Consists of:
- Training at least 3 days per week
- Specially designed strength & conditioning sessions
- College Exposure Events
- Academic Enhancement Classes
- Position specific training
- Personalized fitness/nutrition counseling
- College recruiting process seminars
- Speed & agility sessions
- Leadership Academy
- College Tours
- SAT Prep
- Mental conditioning & time management seminars
- Thorough evaluation of high school transcript
- Assist the student with the college application process
- College visit counseling
- Clarify family priorities for college selection
- Guidance on attending college camps
- College scholarship counseling and negotiation
- Official college visit coordination
- College recruiting process seminars
- Personalized highlight video for recruiting purposes
- Assist with NCAA/NAIA Eligibility Center registration
- Develop Student-Athlete Profile
- Provide ongoing consultation
- Ongoing direct contact with college coaches and recruiting coordinators
Who We Serve
The reality facing all students from low-income backgrounds…
– Less than 10% of all students from low-income communities graduate from college.*
The reality facing all student-athletes from low-income backgrounds…
– 86% of college athletes live below the poverty line.*
– Many students in college basketball and football programs can only read up to an eighth-grade level. There is a staggering achievement gap between college athletes and their peers at the same institutions.*
The opportunity for promising student-athletes…
Nearly 84% of Division I athletes from under-served, underrepresented communities graduate from college within 6 years. However, the graduation rate for Division 1 football players is 55.1%.*
The AP Ranch Champion Program provides student-athletes with academic and athletic support in order for them to become strong candidates for college athletic scholarships. As a result, student-athletes work throughout high school, on and off the field to ready themselves for life after college and beyond sports.
* Increasing College Opportunity for Low-Income Students (Executive Office of the President) — * The Price of Poverty in Big Time College Sport, The National College Players Association, 2013 — * Some College Athletes Play Like Adults, Read Like 5th-Graders, Sara Ganim, CNN, 2014 — * College Football Players Have Low Graduation Rates Nancy Madsen, Richmond Times Dispatch, 2014